Skip to content
THE DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS FOR 2023 HAS PASSED – APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE OPEN AGAIN UNTIL MAY 2024
- Applicants are not guaranteed an audition. Initial selection is made based on the recordings submitted and up to 15 groups only are selected for the auditions.
- Late entries will be disregarded.
- We specifically only invite applications from emerging ‘Classical’ Chamber Groups (up to 8 players) who are British based. Groups are normally expected to be at a ‘Senior Undergraduate’ or ‘Postgraduate’ level. We would normally not consider groups with an average age of more than 30 years old. If in doubt, please send us an email enquiry.
- We do not offer awards to vocal groups nor to singers unless an individual singer is part of a larger instrumental chamber group.
- We also do not offer awards to instrumental duos consisting of a soloist with accompanist. Duos in which the players are equal partners, for example in violin and piano or flute and piano sonatas, are eligible. See Exceptions below.
What Recordings to submit?
- Quality recordings of live & unedited performances will also need to be submitted – NO VIDEO RECORDINGS PLEASE.
- These recordings should be submitted via the ‘Upload Recordings’ buttons on the Application Form and should be MP3, MP4 or m4a files only. (WAV or any other file type will be rejected)
- Recordings of 2 contrasting works should be sent in two separate files. The total recording time for both recordings together should not exceed 25/30 minutes.
- Each file must not exceed 30 megabytes in size
- It is imperative that groups make good quality recordings in order for the Trust to assess their performances carefully. In the past we have been unable to pass groups to audition simply because of bad recording quality.
What References do I need?
- You will need to submit 2 references from musicians of standing via the Upload References buttons on the application form. These can also be submitted directly from Referees by email.
- We offer the Award Winners, selected at our annual London auditions, a series of remunerated engagements in Scottish Music Clubs.
- If you are passed to audition, our day of auditions will take place at the Warehouse (near Waterloo Station in London) on Tuesday 20th September 2023. This is the ONLY day available for our 2023 auditions.
- Your audition programme should last no longer than 15 minutes and include at least 2 contrasting works, 1 of which should be of ‘standard’ or ‘classical’ repertoire for your group. This means we would hope to hear a string quartet or a piano trio play Haydn, Mozart or Beethoven but a wind quintet may choose Nielsen as it’s ‘standard’ or indeed play some Mozart!
- We do NOT accept applications from individuals seeking funding for general further education at Music College or University. Our award is specifically for established chamber groups ONLY. We are NOT able to offer support to other charities seeking funding for projects.
- Any group members who are not British passport holders must hold the appropriate visa or have a work permit to allow them to work and to accept fees under the regulations issued by the UK Borders Agency. If any group member is not a British passport holder please state on the Trust’s Application Form when you apply what type of visa you have or if you have a work permit please state what type of work permit it is.